Wednesday 21 August 2013

Welcome Visitors!

So without me noticing it the 1-year anniversary of my blog has come and gone (for the record, it was July 6th).  Over the past year my traffic has grown exponentially - from a few hits per month for the first four or five months (most of which were probably just me) to the past three months where I've averaged 1500-2500  per month (most of which may still just be me).

Hits aside, the sources of my traffic have been a surprise, and have identified a number of cool brewing resources that I had no idea existed.  I thought I'd do a bit of a shout-out; both as a way of thanking the people at these sites for their readership, and to share some cool resources that may be of interest:

Blogs:

  • Bootleg Biology: An attempt to create an "open-source"  wild yeast resource for home brewers.  While in the early stages, bootleg biology is seeking to create a "library" of local yeasts from across the USA (and perhaps beyond?).  Includes a mix of blog posts & information pages.  A project worth following, and to join.
  • BKYeast: A blog by Dimitri - a man with a very similar background to my own (cell biologist, home brewer).  Lots of information on brew science, wild brewing, and a yeast collection I'd love to get my hands on!
  • DC Yeast Lab: A great blog on brewing science & wild brewing.  This blogger and I have enjoyed a successful yeast exchange.
  • Eureka Brewing: A blogger with similar goals to my own.  This was one of the blogs that motivated me to start my own.

Sites:

  • Homebrew Talk: To my knowledge this is the largest discussion forum on the 'net for homebrewing, and a site I am an active member of.  A fantastic resource.
  • Canadian Home Brewers: Another web forum I participate in - and apparently in which I self-promote a little too much...
  • Reddit: I get a lot of hits from reddit; and often from odd sections.  My #1 source is a reddit thread on. . .Why do we have different sized dogs but all the domestic cats are (roughly) the same size?  Yep, I don't get it either.
  • http://hobbybrauer.de/: A German homebrew forum.  My German is quite rusty, but my limited Germanic capacity makes me believe that it is an active & interesting forum.
  • BeerBorg: A beer-brewing forum with a Star Trek bent.  I'm not sure if this is a regional group or a more general board.

3 comments:

  1. Bryan,

    Thank you for the kind recommendation to your readers to check out Bootleg Biology. I'm a big fan of your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mello,

      Glad to see you commenting here. If you don't mind answering, are you willing to accept "terroir" yeast from outside the USA?

      Delete
    2. Of course! I've just been focusing on the US for simplicity, but we want the best bugs...wherever they are. Feel free to shoot an email to info@bootlegbiology.com and we can talk logistics.

      Jeff Mello

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.